Saturday 7 November 2015

Turtle Woman Listens to Village Voices

   I heard the subway train rattle into the station as I was still walking up the escalator.  The people in front of me sped up and I followed running along the platform to the last car.  I knew I could make it as I had many times before.  Suddenly I was flat on my back lying beside the open train door.  Confused, I recalled feeling my left foot wipe out as my smooth flip flop hit some water.  I had landed on the huge green back pack that I carry, full of linens for my work, so my back and head were fine but my right elbow was really hurting.  I lay there like some kind of turtle woman who had flipped onto her soft shell and couldn’t get righted.
    In the strange extended time of an accident when our brain actually speeds up so we can take in more information, I looked around me, marvelling at this strange perspective.  The open subway train doors formed a large white rectangle.  There were yellow stripes on a diagonal and something fluorescent green.  Through the distorted view of my progressive lens I saw shapes moving towards me, kind of blurred streams of light which I translated as people running to help me.  Suddenly I was on my feet and walking onto the subway car saying that I was fine.  I have no memory of who helped me but I assume someone did because I wouldn’t have been able to get up with that heavy back pack and a hurt elbow without assistance.
I walked quickly to the nearest seat, not wanting to hold the train up any longer.  I sat down to assess the damage.  My elbow really hurt now but I didn’t think it was broken.  At any rate, there were no bones protruding through the skin.  Across the aisle from me was a man lounging sideways on two seats.  “You’re rushing!” he declared in a slow Jamaican accent.  “Everybody’s ruuushing,” he drawled.  “Too much in a hurry.”  I smiled back.  “It was the flip flops,” I explained.  “No,” he said.  “You were rushing.  You shouldn’t rush.” 
“So much for sympathy,” I thought.
   By now the subway operator had closed the doors and the train was in motion.  He walked down the subway car towards me.  He leaned over and in a clipped South Asian accent asked, “Are you alright?  Are you in need of assistance madam?”
“No, I’m fine,” I said, not wanting to cause any further problems.
“You don’t need any help?”
“No, I’m fine,” I lied.
“She was rushing.  Too much rushing,” came the voice from across the aisle. 
I chuckled at the cross cultural triangle the three of us formed which is one of the few things I do like about being in Toronto. Three different worldviews, two genders, one city.
   At the end of the day I took the subway back to the bus station.  I did not rush as I felt tired and hurt.  As I walked from the subway over the covered walkway to the bus terminal I could hear the strains of a jazz sax being played by a busker.  As I got to the top of the stairs I saw the man sitting on a stool playing.  He took the sax from his lips and sang, “The sky may be grey but it’s a beautiful day.”  It was true.  The November sky was grey and overcast and my mood was grey.  Maybe it was a beautiful day.  I wasn’t feeling it though.  I thought I detected a Caribbean accent in his singing voice and got the feeling that there something to be learned in all of this.
   The next morning, I was back at the subway.  This time in boots.  This time being careful.  I walked up the escalator and carefully made my way down the platform that was strangely crowded for that time of day.  An announcement came over the system that the train was turning back at St. Clair West and shuttle buses were being ordered due to serious signal problems.  A woman beside me asked, “What exactly does that mean?”  “I think it means we will have to get on a bus at St. Clair West,” I answered.  “I’m experimenting with different ways to get to work,” she replied.  “This is probably my fault!”  “Well, thank you for apologizing in advance,” I laughed.  The train pulled up and I carefully walked to it and got on.  The train crept ahead slowly, then stopped and started and sat, inching it’s way south to where I wanted to go. “Well,” I thought, “I certainly couldn’t be accused of rushing today.”  I read the paper and sat, closed my eyes, thought and waited.  How ironic to be held up in the tunnel the day after the warning not to rush.  Eventually a voice came over the train’s intercom with yet another Caribbean voice saying, “For those of you stuck here in this train, St. Clair West Station is blocked.”  No.  I was not rushing.  I was not even moving. In my head I figured out how to walk from St. Clair to my office on Dupont St.  Would I turn right or left from the station?  Was it still dark in the above ground world? Would it be safe to walk in the dark?  Would I have time to still get a coffee before my first client of the day?  I was sitting still, but my mind was racing.  I took some deep breaths and tried to be calm.
   I heard a train going past us in the tunnel in the opposite direction and then our train lurched into action.  We pulled into the St. Clair West station and I expected to hear instructions to get off the train because it was turning back.  But no such words came.  People were standing on the platform and when the doors opened they got on.  I asked one man just getting on if the train was turning back and he said not in this direction.  Another man and I exchanged looks.  Should we get off or stay on.  We both shrugged and then sat down.  I noticed the woman across from me was crossing her fingers and smiling.  The train moved out of the station in our desired direction.  The man and I started talking about what time we were to start work, how long it took to commute, getting coffee and then we came to my station.  It is always funny how people in the city will not even acknowledge each other until there is a problem and then we talk like neighbours.  I bid my subway neighbour a good day and got off the train.  I still had time for coffee.  The sky was still grey but it seemed like a good day.  I could hear the busker’s voice in my head. After all, I hadn’t fallen and my elbow was feeling a lot better.  I chuckled at all the voices that I had heard in the past two days.
   Two days later I was once again working in the city.  As I walked up the escalator to the subway platform I heard the train rumble in to the station.  I took a deep breath and decided not to run, even though I had sensible foot wear on.  I walked calmly and got to the train.  The subway operator had his head out of the window.  I looked to see if it was the man who I had met earlier in the week.  It was not.  This one looked Korean.  He had his whole upper body out the window and was taking in a deep breath of the crisp fall air as this station is above ground.  The woman ahead of me bid him good morning.  I calmly (and without incident) stepped onto the train and began walking down the centre aisle as the train moved out of the station.  Since I wasn’t hypoxic and was so intentionally calm, I looked around me and saw face after face “pop out” at me, with some kind of superclarity.  That had never happened to me before.  The faces of people from around the world popped into focus as I walked through the train.  The whole world lives in Toronto and it was a real feast for the eyes.  Each one seemed very beautiful somehow, even at this early hour.  Usually on the train, we learn to soft focus, to not make eye contact, to protect our “personal space”.  This week I had been helped by strangers, had been given good advice, had broken into conversation around the train stoppage and now I was seeing people in a kind of hyperlucid fashion. 
   At the end of the day I was once again crossing the walkway to the bus terminal when I heard a familiar jazz saxophone.  I don’t carry money in my pocket and I never stop to fish around in my wallet for coins for the buskers.  This time I stepped to the side of the sea of people and did just that.  As I passed the “beautiful day” busker I dropped a loonie into his sax case as thanks for all the experiences of the week that had taught me to slow down in a city that revs you up and to really see the faces and hear the voices of the world.  The impersonal city became a village once I paid attention.



No comments:

Post a Comment