Friday 25 March 2016

Change Welcomed

Last Ski in the Woods

Likely the last ski of the winter
Took me through cedar groves
And stands of hemlock, birch, maple.
The warm March sun
Casting shadows
Turning straight tree trunks
Into curves and arcs
On the undulating snow drifts
                                                    



I stopped to take it all in
When tiny chirps and the
Whirrrr of wings past my ears
Made me dig deep into my pocket
For a handful of sunflower seeds.
Holding my well trained palm flat
The tiny bold birds
Impossibly light, lit on my hand
And one by one
Carefully selected the seed of their choice.




Further on, tracks of porcupine
Like tire tracks
And bounding squirrels,
Whitetail deer and cottontail rabbits.
Weasel tracks circumnavigated
A puffy pile of brown feathers…
A forest murder mystery
That kept us occupied
Deciphering the clues





















Spring Song

The soft grey catkins bursting
From the aspen branches
At the end of the road
Don’t lie.
Spring is coming.

The birds know it.
Crows, chickadees, blue jays
Have changed their songs
More varied, complex.
Spring means only one thing.

Sitting on the dock, reading
In the March warm sun
I look out over the
Frozen lake waiting
For the first migrant birds
To spring into sight

Soon the geese will be
Staking out their nesting sites
Sitting on the still frozen ice
Patiently knowing that
Spring is near.


We sit by a fire fed by the
Rotted boards of an old
Dock in need of renewal
And repair once
Spring is here.

I walk carefully over the ice to
View the progress and
Suddenly find myself
Right thigh deep in cold water
Surprisingly not painful.

I pull myself out and
Take off my wet jeans and
Socks in front of the fire
Covering myself in my
Blanket I laugh.
Spring is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment