Tuesday 27 June 2017

Like Magic


Separated from the earth by cement
Separated from the sky by steel and concrete
The buses roar into the terminal
Where I wait.

A thin line of blue sky is visible
Between the roof and the road
I glimpse cars racing along the Allen 
And hear subway trains rattling into the station

If I was to take a deep breath
And from this I refrain instinctively
I would smell the exhaust that
Bellows out from all the machines

One green GO bus idly rumbles at rest in its bay
While another growls, toots its horn and exits
Over and over, even the sounds of cars and trains
Are drowned out by the noise of roaring bus engines





Then suddenly,
into this inhospitable, mechanical
Vehicular, hard, grey environment
Fly two small, brown sparrows

Landing, they hop along the concrete
Searching for crumbs, food dropped
Nutrition in the forgotten, the trampled
They twitter to each other

And I find myself smiling at them
And saying hello there
Then chuckling with delight at their
Animated, musical conversation 

These two little, feathered balls of life
Transform the space like magic
And I feel alive once more
Connected, not cut off, from life.

Just like magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment