Tuesday 9 January 2018

The World Pulses on the Web

Jensine Larsen grew up on a farm in Wisconsin.  As a young woman she travelled the world meeting and working with people in developing countries.  Over and over again, women asked her to take their story and share it with others.  Eventually, the idea of World Pulse came to Jensine.  

She developed a website that is a platform for woman around the world to share their stories, resources and encouragement. 

This growing social network connects over 53,000 people from 190 countries who are estimated to be impacting the lives of 3.1 million people.  Studies have shown that when women who post their stories on-line are responded to positively, then they can go about creating social change more effectively. World Pulse is a way that we can listen to voices that are used to being silenced.


In an interview, Larsen described how World Pulse is unlocking the great potential of women.  She talked about an energetic connected pulse across the planet. On the World Pulse website the questions Why? Is asked.  The answer: “Because change isn’t happening fast enough. For decades, countless individuals and organizations have worked tirelessly for women’s equality, but the worldwide suppression of women continues. We need a global solution. That solution is digital technology with soul. Through World Pulse, the stories and connections we share are our most powerful catalysts for change—uniting millions to create a grassroots movement with global impact.”

Curious to know more, I signed onto the website and began to read stories of women all around the world.  I responded to one young woman who had escaped an abusive relationship with words of encouragement.  As I toured the website led by the prompts, I was invited to post a story.  So I posted the poem that I posted on my own blog for the Winter Solstice since it is about letting my light shine.

The next morning, there was a response waiting for me in my email list from a woman in Nigeria and another from a woman in the Philippines with beautiful words of encouragement.  I was so touched that I burst into tears  and I understood the power of positive words even from people I have never met.

Here is someone I would like you to meet.  Her name is Edinah and she is from Zimbabwe.  She is a journalist, women’s rights advocate and founding CEO of Women's Empowerment Foundation for Southern Africa .  Her vision is to amplify women's voices by opening communication channels for marginalized women and empowering them to gain their voices.

I read more stories about African women teaching girls how to use digital technology and how to have healthy images of themselves as girls.  Another story was by a courageous woman who told the truth about being HIV positive.  I read the encouraging words that other women wrote to them.  And I decided to read at least one story every week and send encouragement to at least one woman.  That is easily achieved and it allows me to play my part in this opportunity that has never existed before.

In Jensine Larsen’s travels she repeatedly heard “connect the women” and so she is doing her part.  When people on the radio and TV talk about the dire future, they never factor in that if women were connected and found their voices, the future could look very different than if their voices are ignored.


World Pulse says, “Welcome to our digital uprising.”  I know I want to be a part of that uprising, that rising up of women around the world who are connected by this web.  We can all do our part.

Check it out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment