Tuesday 24 July 2018

Stories on the West Wind


Last week, I read Why Indigenous Literatures Matter by UBC professor and author, Daniel Heath Justice.  On page 77, he writes,
Imagination and curiosity are essential to the empathy required for healthy, respectful, and sustainable relationships with a whole host of beings and peoples, from cedar trees and magpies to thunderstorms and moss-blanketed boulders.  Simply put, there can be no true kinship without imagination.  The more expansive our imaginations, the deeper our capacity for empathy, and the healthier our relationships and communities will likely be.  And the opposite is equally the case: as our imaginations become impoverished and the scope and range of possibility becomes narrower and limited, the health and well-being of the whole world around us will suffer too.
 I was thinking about this while walking along a trail by Georgian Bay.  I came to a gap in the trees where the wild west wind and the waves instantly captured my full attention.  A poem seemed to be the only way to communicate that experience.



The west wind demanded that
I stop and listen NOW!
And so I sat on a nearby bench.
But instead of listening,
My busy brain questioned the wind.
What stories do you carry?
I asked.
Do you bring news of my
Daughter on the prairies?
Or my son deep in the mountains?
Do you carry the yip of the coyotes
Or the growl of grizzlies?
Do you bring me the call of a magpie
Or the scent of red cedar?
Do you bring the smoke of wild fires
Or rain from the western sea?
Yes all of those things
Answered the wind.

Then my mind stilled and I listened
to the crashing waves
Of the lake on the shore.
One after another after another,
Their rhythm a kind of music,
A story of movement and power.
Of timelessness and this moment.
Of faraway and right here all at once.

Wind from the west 
Where two of my children are.
Perhaps you caressed their faces
As you now caress mine.
Perhaps they breathed this same air.
Perhaps it has been in their bodies
As they were in mine.
Perhaps they breathed out water
That lives in the clouds above me.
Perhaps the vibration of their voices
Still quivers in the flowing air.

Then I returned to walking the trail.
The daylilies danced and swayed,
Orange heads dipping and rising.
Red hollyhocks rocked forward and back
And the tall trees rustled and waved
As I walked by.
Cool, dry wind animating us all.
We are part of its story of dancing motion,
Of mighty power, of interwoven connection.
Our breath joins the wind.
It remembers our voices
And carries our story onward.

Daniel Heath Justice (2018) Why Indigenous Literatures Matter.  Waterloo: Wildred Laurier University Press

No comments:

Post a Comment