Tuesday 13 November 2018

Decolonizing Moments Emerge in Unlikely Places

The first snow of the season fell this weekend and the wind was too high to want to be outside, so we headed to town to a “Victorian Christmas” in the Recreation Centre.  I’m not sure what made it Victorian, but the hall was filled with vendors selling artwork, sweets and crafts that might become Christmas presents.  I walked along the aisles slowing down to look at the work of so many people until I came to a booth with a stuffed toy giraffe, African looking cards and bright hats.  The sign read “Home Free”. 

The woman at the booth explained to me that she was raising money for this group that helps to fund families in Uganda.  She went on to explain that the group tries to get children out of orphanages and back with their own family members who need financial help to raise the children or to foster families.  This woman, Linda, makes hats and sells them to raise money for Home-Free.  She had travelled to Uganda this past year and met many of the families and the women that Thrive Uganda which is a part of Home Free supports with micro loans. 

Linda explained to me that eight women here in Canada support five Ugandan women who are the staff of Home Free who are supporting roughly four thousand Ugandans.  So, of course I bought a hat – a bright multicoloured cotton hat for gardening.  How wonderful to be a part of this program funded by women, staffed by women, to help women take care of children.  I saw the irony in the fact that this “Victorian Christmas” sale that was somehow linked to Queen Victoria, Empress of so many colonized countries was where I met one woman, Linda, who was seeking to undo some of the harm that was done by the colonizers.  It seemed an odd place to have a Decolonizing experience or maybe it wasn’t.

The next day, there was more snow on the ground, but the wind had died down and the sun was peeking out.  Suddenly, the world looked bright and new and much friendlier than the previous day.  We headed back to town to the Midland Farmer’s Market at the Huronia Museum.  Much to our surprise, there was also an art exhibition being held in the hall that is the winter home to the Farmer’s Market.  It was called Rekindling Voices. This exhibition celebrates Indigenous culture and included the work of seven local artists.  

Curated by Paul Whittam (Negik),  this powerful group of paintings was displayed on the walls of the hall.  In front of them were the market vendors.  We had to excuse ourselves to go behind their displays to read the plaques describing the pieces and then step back into the centre of the hall to see the paintings from a distance.  One plaque describes how all these artists are “storytellers in their own way.”  Each one was “selected for a light that shines through their artwork into the hearts and minds of people willing to accept the resilience and inextinguishable fire of our collective peoples.”  The paintings told their stories beautifully.  We could see the light that shone through the artwork as they told their stories of resilience.

It wasn’t until we were finished spending time with the art that we turned our attention to buying food.  The powerful art juxtaposed with the buying and selling of food seemed somehow symbolic of the society that we live in.  The inextinguishable fire of the paintings telling the Indigenous stories surrounded the settler farmers who appeared to be oblivious to the beauty behind them.  This was yet another decolonizing experience that made us think about how our stories are interconnected. 

This past week I was aIso reading Richard Wagamese’s last book, Starlight which was published posthumously.  It is a lovely narrative about a man who lives so close to the land that it fills him up.  In the novel, he teaches a woman who has escaped from an abusive relationship and her young daughter how to be on the land.  With this narrative in my head, we stopped at the Wye Marsh to walk in the forest after our Farmers Market experience. 

The first snow in the forest is like coming home for us.  The familiar creak of boots on the packing snow, the snowflakes gently floating down through the trees, the beauty of the snow accentuating the shape of the spruce boughs and … the hungry chickadees.  We always carry sunflower seeds in our pockets at this time of year for these bold little birds.  No sooner had we entered the forest than the familiar  chick-a-dee-dee-dee could be heard.  I held out my hand with sunflower seeds in my palm and a chickadee quickly landed on it, took a seed, looked me in the eye and fluttered off.  I kept walking for a bit and then stopped on a bridge to look at the creek burbling below.  The chickadee swooped past me and landed in a cedar tree inches from me.  I extended my open (and sunflower seeded) palm through the boughs of the tree to the bird.  It hopped the last four inches onto my hand and fed once again. 

As we continued down the path, this same bird swooped in front of us to get our attention and then landed on a tree.  We took turns feeding our hungry little friend in the dance of swoop, hand out, feed, walk, swoop, hand out, feed, walk.  After a while, more chickadees joined our friend and then the antics began.  At times, two chickadees at a time would try to land on my hand and then little feathered squabbles erupted.  At one point they were all in the trees eating their seeds and I held my hand out waiting.  Snowflakes gently landed on my palm and melted.  I might have said that the chickadees weighed no more than a snowflake, but upon comparison with an actual snowflake, I could not say that that was true.  My hand was home to snowflakes, sunflower seeds and chickadees.  My hand was home. 

My partner put seeds on the top of my winter hat and I stood still in the forest as the birds landed on my head to eat.  I could hear the whirring of their feathers as they flew in and feel their little wiry feet through the wool.  I imagined that I was a tree and birds were landing on my branches.  I felt myself sway like a tree in the wind and imagined roots buried deep in the forest floor.  I felt like a character in one of Richard Wagamese’s books.  I felt at home there on the land.  This land is not a commodity for me to buy and sell.  It is not full of resources to extract.  It is not something to take from.  It is my home and I am part of it.  Perhaps this was another decolonizing moment.

All these moments of becoming conscious of colonial thinking, of listening to the voices of Indigenous people through story, art, and music, of connecting to the land are for me decolonizing moments.  All these moments are creating a new way of thinking and being here on this land that we now call Canada.  These moments are writing this new story.


No comments:

Post a Comment