Saturday 19 February 2022

Timeless Winter Moments of Mindfulness

 

We pulled out of the driveway quickly one February morning because the sidewalk snow plow was moving towards us at a fair clip and we didn’t want to jump the snowdrift that it would leave.  This sturdy little machine was being used to widen the sidewalk and it’s auger cut into the three foot bank sending snow flying out of the chute.  Escaping just in time, we crested the hill and were passed by a man on a snowmobile.  I guessed that he was heading out onto the ice to do some ice fishing.  Snowmobiles drive on the roads in this tiny village just like cars and trucks and at the beach, they easily drive onto the white expanse of the frozen bay. 

Next, we passed a man carrying four Tim Horton’s cups in a cardboard tray.  He looked old enough to live at the Senior’s residence that we had just passed.  He was walking on the road instead of the icy sidewalk which is also quite common since the roads are sanded..  The Horton’s was about a five minute walk from where he was.  I wondered who he was bringing hot coffee or tea or chocolate to.  I wondered if this was part of his morning ritual.  I chuckled at the very common winter scenes that I had just passed.  It was like a Tim Horton’s TV commercial playing out before my eyes.

We passed the post office with masked people lined up outside, waiting to get their mail.  Just two people at a time were allowed in and the people waited patiently, making small talk as they did.  And then we were on the highway heading towards the Wildlife Centre to cross country ski.  The weather was finally warm enough to ski and we wanted to get out early enough before the rising temperatures made the snow sticky.  December was too warm for good snow and January was too cold to ski so this was my first time out skiing this winter. 

My legs and arms remembered what to do and we set out on the trail.  There was a fine snow falling that melted instantly on my face.  My skis had trouble gliding and I could feel them sticking to the snow.  Our best efforts had not resulted in great snow but we continued on nevertheless.  The trick was to stay in motion.  If we stopped, then the snow would stick in great clods like mud to boots.  All my attention was on the feel of the glide of my skis.  My attention was on feeling the intersection between the bottom of my skis and the snow.  Every now and then, I could glide easily and then like putting the brakes on, I would hit a sticky patch and then I had to push myself along with muscles and poles. 

We came to a part of the forest where a lot of Chickadees live.  These bold little birds will eat sunflower seeds right out of your hand.  I could hear them calling softly at first and then with more volume.  They fluttered along beside us insistently calling.  “I hear you, but we can’t stop,” I apologized.  We continued along the two and a half kilometer trail getting warmer and warmer.  My total focus was on the feel of my skis and the sound of my measured breath.  Every now and then, I would look up and greet the trees and then turn my attention back to the snow, my muscles and breath. 

It wasn’t until I was back at the car and cooling down that I realized that the whole ski was a kind of mindfulness exercise.  In addition to this, I realized that I was using distance perception to gather information about the snow through the feelings in my body.  My thoughts were interrupted as we drive out of the parking lot and a sensor began beeping.  I got out of the car, opened up the back hatch, slammed it shut and got back into the car.  The beeping continued so I repeated the task, this time pushing my skis a little further into the car.  This time the beeping stopped.  I realized that we listen to and interact with all kinds of things all the time, snow conditions, car sensors, chickadees, our own bodies, blood and breath as well as the people in our lives.  Often I do this on auto-pilot but today I was aware of the dynamic of the web that we are all a part of.

Later that week, the temperature was too cold to ski but perfect for walking through the forest on the crunchy well packed snow.  The sky was a cloudless blue and the sun shone brightly through the trees.  We came to a grove of Eastern Hemlocks on the forest trail.  They always bid me to stop and visit and so I did their bidding. 

I faced the sun and felt it’s February rays warm my skyward angled face.  There had been a small snowfall the night before which now adorned the trees, green coniferous and bare brown deciduous alike.  Little gusts of wind blew the snow from their branches.  Tiny ice crystals from the snow were carried by the wind towards me, twinkling rainbow colours in the sunshine.  It felt like travelling in space with stars whizzing by me or like driving in a snowstorm with the high beams on.  I knew I was standing still, but it felt as if I was moving forward.

I watched the tiny little “stars” until the wind changed direction.  Now they were moving past me from my right to my left.  I let out a big sigh and the cloud of water vapour from my mouth partially obscured the stars for a moment before it dissolved into the air.  It seemed to me that the trees were exhaling water as solid ice crystals and I was exhaling water as a gas.  The gaseous and solid water that were back-lit by the sun, danced before my child-like eyes.  I stood there for a time and eventually the wind died down, breaking the spell and allowing me to continue along my way forever changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment