Tuesday 28 July 2020

Speaking for the Whole

I went to do my once-a-week grocery shop this past Sunday.  I have been going to the same store since the lock down in March and always on Sunday morning at 8 am.  This used to be the senior’s hour but that no longer exists.  I live in an area where there are full time residents as well as summer cottagers.  So far, Sundays at 8 am has worked well.  It is my way of avoiding people since I am going when they aren’t so likely to be there.  I follow the arrows, only touch what I am planning to buy, wearing a mask and gloves.  It has worked well until this past Sunday.

I had just come into the store, taken a cleaned cart and was turning to enter the produce area (according to the arrows) when I had to immediately stop.  There was a man standing in the narrow space between the tomatoes and the carts.  So I stopped and waited.  Nothing happened.  He didn’t appear to be shopping.  There was a woman shopping on the other side of the carts so I assumed he was waiting for her.  He suddenly noticed me and stepped back one step into the carts.  That is when another man started walking past him towards me.  He stopped and looked at me as if I was in his way even though he was going against the arrows.  I thought maybe he wanted to go past the tomatoes to the deli counter but no he wanted to go past me to the cash register.  There was nowhere for me to go except back out of the store.  He finally backed up a little bit beside the other man and I had to squeeze past them.  They refused to take another route or clear the area.  I  mentioned the arrows as I passed them.

Finishing in the produce aisle, then bread and meat I turned to go up the next aisle following the arrows.  There was another man standing in the middle of the aisle doing something on his phone which was in his hand.  I stopped and waited.  Eventually he noticed me and backed up to the food.  I said I would wait until he was finished.  He became agitated and told me to pass him.  If I didn’t, I would have to turn around, miss the next aisle, circle back and so I begrudgingly went past him.  I did mention that this was not the place to play on his phone as I passed him.

The rest of the shop was fine.  By the time I got to the check out and the clerk asked, “How are you?”  I told the truth.  “I’m feeling a bit frazzled from dealing with the cottagers,” I answered.  Of course, she didn’t actually want the truth so she remained silent.  I realized that I was very frazzled and told her about the man with the phone.  She gave me the answer that I’m sure her employers have told her to say.  “You have to be patient.  There’s no point getting angry.”  Well, I am an older woman and that sort of statement didn’t help. 

I got home, cleaned all the food coming in as usual and then went for a swim in the lake to cool off in more ways than one.  I stood in the deep water letting the waves move through me and thought about why I was so upset.  Gradually, it came to me.  I was raised to let men do whatever they wanted.  It was easier that way.  It was safer that way.  This is what my mother and other women of her generation taught me.  I was taught to work around men because they were difficult and sometimes dangerous.  Who knows what would happen if they got angry?

But now, I am an older woman and I am tired of keeping quiet and changing aisles and backing out of stores.  I have a voice and I am trying to use it.  I had used it in the store but I hadn’t actually got one of the three men to play by the rules.  They all stood their ground and I had to put myself at risk to get past them. 

Standing in the waves, I wanted to cry.  I felt as though I had broken the code, the code of placating men in order to stay safe.  The female clerk had given me the same code.  “Be patient.  It’s no use getting angry.”  But this wasn’t a case of being patient.  I wasn’t waiting until they picked their fruit or cans.  They were exerting their privilege of being able to stand and walk and do whatever they wanted without any thought for the rest of us.

Well that seems to me to be the same privilege that is destroying the earth and making this virus difficult to control.  Being patient and not getting angry has allowed this privilege to create un-safety or threat for the majority of people who don’t have this privilege.  My training advised me to risk my own health rather than upset these men past a certain point.

Perhaps it is time for women to start speaking up for the whole community, for the whole world.  I have been using the strategy of avoidance to keep safe.  I am staying out of stores except once a week, off of busy trails, off of public transit and away from groups.  But now, this strategy isn’t working as people are out and about and seemingly unaware of what they are doing.  The grocery store is staffed by teenagers on a Sunday morning and I have noticed that they are not going to take on people and point out the rules.  I know that some larger stores hire security guards to enforce the procedures.  But here, I am on my own.

It occurs to me that I need to speak out to protect myself.  I need new strategies to communicate.  Perhaps using sentences that include things like cooperation is a new skill I need to develop.  Perhaps, getting used to the discomfort of communicating the idea of cooperation to people who seem to find this an alien idea is another.  Perhaps this is where the difficult conversations will occur.  This virus will stay with us while we fail to cooperate.  Climate change will continue while we fail to cooperate.  Following the old code will not keep me safe and it will not keep any of us safe.

After I swam, we went for a walk in the forest.  Due to the mosquitoes, we haven’t met anyone in the bush for weeks.  There was one car parked at the entrance but it is a big forest.  I started to calm down as I walked under the trees but my nervous system was still on high alert.  I could feel it buzzing.  We followed the trail down the hill to the river which we always do and stopped to look at the Partridgeberry patch to see if any berries were forming yet.  We were just about at the river when I heard a sharp dog’s bark very close by.  I startle easily at the best of times and I was still on high alert, so I made a startled cry.  Then I saw a young woman through the trees by the river just before a barking black Lab ran at us.  I am not usually afraid of dogs and I wasn’t afraid of him.  But he was sure afraid of us.  He was growling and barking at our legs as the young woman called out, “Don’t worry, he’s a friendly dog.”  Trusting the evidence before my eyes, I did not try to pet him.  I talked calmly to him and stood still as did my partner.  The young woman called the dog to no avail.  Then she started to walk towards the dog and us.  She was about six feet away from us and still moving when I ordered, “Don’t come near us.  Social distance!”  She caught herself and took an arc towards the dog instead and put him on a leash.  She then led him and the other off leash dog away down the path. 

The message was becoming clearer.  I can’t expect other people to keep me safe and apparently avoidance is not working very well.  I can use my voice and my body language to do so however.  I usually make myself smaller so as not to inconvenience other people.  But, this needs to change.   It seems that I need to become larger and remind people to think of the whole group.

I have had to do this occasionally on the walking and biking trail that runs through our village along Georgian Bay.  Hundreds of people have been driving to the village, parking their cars and getting on bicycles to cycle on the trail.  We only attempt to take a walk at supper time.  But even then, people riding two abreast come straight towards us or even worse from behind with no warning.  We can step off of the paved path for about a foot before we encounter thick poison ivy.  The trail is about 7 feet wide.  Even without a pandemic, it would be polite for the cyclists to ride in single file when passing pedestrians since we are sharing the trail.  But not these days.  I have found myself standing in the middle of the trail and directing them to ride single file using my hands like those men that direct jets to park.  Some cyclists comply but some refuse and then I remind them about sharing space.  I do not say anything about them as people, just about the actions that would make it safe for all of us.

What would happen if all of we older women started to take on a leadership role in the community from within its midst?  Most of us don’t care what other people think of us.  This is not about being liked.  If we were valued by society, these people would not be putting us at risk.  So, what if we took our nurturing energy that was once used to raise children and used it to help our society grow up and think of the whole?  What if we embodied our power and found ways to speak, not out of anger or fear, but out of wisdom?  What if the world needs our voices?  Perhaps it is time for us to speak for the whole.


No comments:

Post a Comment